Sunday, January 8, 2017

Cognitive Dissonance

One of the forum topics for PIDP 3250 is on Cognitive Dissonance. The forum facilitator, Susan, started the forum off by introducing the topic with a video on Cognitive Dissonance:



I'm really enjoying this topic and it has me reflecting on my own Cognitive inconsistencies. In particular, on all the different justifications I can come up with as to why chocolate is actually good for you (notice that I even attached a link to back up my claim).

One of my classmates, Angela, shared a great exercise to work the topic of cognitive dissonance into the classroom. I am going to try this activity for sure as one of my post clinical conference topics. See the activity below:

You are in the South Pacific Ocean with your boat and you come across a sinking boat. On the sinking boat there are 6 people that need saving, BUT you can only safely take 2 people on your boat or you all will perish. You need to choose 2 and only 2 people to save. Who would you choose?
  • A research scientist/doctor
  • A young man with HIV/AIDS
  • A pregnant woman
  • A 75 year old grandfather
  • A 6 year old girl
  • A father of 3 teenage children
Write down the 2 people you have chosen without discussion with another about your reasons. Be prepared to discuss why you came to your decision.

The class discussion following this exercise is fantastic!

Then, more is added, such as the research scientist/doctor is curing cancer. The young man with HIV/AIDS is in remission. The pregnant woman is a street worker. The grandfather is a Noble Peace Prize winner, the girl has leukemia, and the father is a single father.

The dissonance comes up when students have to provide their rationale and hear others’ rationale. Inconsistencies between what they believe and who they choose to rescue inevitably arise. And, contradictions between two or more beliefs and values may also arise.

Credit for the above again goes to my classmate, Angela.

As part of my midterm forum self-assessment, I wanted to improve my forum posts by including more student engagement technique activities.  Check out the one I found HERE on Cognitive Dissonance.

 Please note that this blog in its entirety is licensed under creative commons,
 please see details below:

Creative Commons License

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
CC BY-NC-SA

This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.
View License Deed | View Legal Code

No comments:

Post a Comment